Highfield fishery Super cup round one

April 5th , Oaks pool peg 36


Well today was my first attempt at competitive team fishing and their was no easier match for me than the first round of the Supercup Talk About Thrown In At The Deep End . So after my 40 mile trip to Highfield fishery it was time to meet up with the team and have a chat about how things where going to pan out today , after having fished a few of the recent opens on here and doing well as a team i personally managed two 4ths so we was quite confident of a good showing .

Taff who was Farnworth tackles team captain who i would be fishing with today went to pick the bag which held our peg numbers and managed to get us the one which held all the end pegs but at least two of our pegs would be up against it today , We was fishing against ;

Splinter ac

St Anthony ac

So there would be eight sections of three anglers and the result would be decided by the team with the least section points , when it came to my turn to draw i ended up on the same peg as Thursday open match so i knew exactly how to target it but was up against it for the section with the two islands pegs in it one of which won the match on Thursday .


We was going to fish from 11 till 4 which gave me plenty of time to set up the required rigs and hopefully with the match finishing late it would get the carp feeding in the margins because on earlier matches here they was very important for good section points .


margin , 0.4 matrix series 3 float with 0.14 garbo main line straight through to a size 16 guru lwg hook

4 meter , 0.3 scone float with an on the drop shotting pattern , my line was 0.10 garbo straight through to a size 20 drennon silver fish hook

tip rod  , which i didn’t use on the day so not much point going through it .

My bait for the day was ;

2 pint red and white maggot

1 pint ground-bait

1 pint meat 4mm

1 pint 4mm pellets

4mm expanders white and normal

4 mm hard pellets

I didn’t normally take ground-bait or meat with me on here but thought that it might work better than the micros in the margin but as you will find out later it didn’t and it was another case of over thinking things and not sticking to what worked well for me in practice .

As the all in sounded i went on to my 4 meter line and began loose feeding maggots every thirty seconds and it wasn’t long before i was into the usual 2 oz silvers which where coming in quick succession , my plan was to bag up on these for two hours before checking my margins for a bonus carp because that worked really well in the open matches i found on here .


I found that if i got the bait to the bottom i would get a bigger 4oz skimmer so i changed the shotting pattern to a bulk + dropper and i started putting in little nuggets of ground-bait after every fifth fish , this resulted in me getting a 3 lb bream which did its best dolphin impression before finding the back of the net Early Bonus Fish .

The first two hours flew by and i was holding my own in the section , it was now time for me to check the margins and i had four areas i planned to target these where both 4 meters and 11 meters away at the side of the empty platforms . I had a quick look before feeding in case their was any fish already present but after spending ten minutes in each area no bites came my way not even from the silvers which i thought was strange , so i fed with a small cupping kit full of ground-bait + maggots to both areas on my left and ground-bait + meat on my right hand side .

All the time i had continued feeding maggots on my 4 meter line and was back into the silvers straight away , i decided the best option was to catch 15 fish for about 2 lb before spending five minutes in each margin swim and then going for another 15 silvers which took about thirty minutes to catch .

With one hour remaining the guy on the fancied island peg caught two small carp which put him ahead in the section so although i had a lot of small silvers -2 bream – f1 , i thought that i needed to get a bonus carp for good points but in forty minutes off rotating my margin swims no bites came my way not even from the usual bigger stamp silvers .

As the all out sounded i was unsure how i had got on , my net of silvers went 11 lb for second in the section only 1 lb away from winning it because the guy with two carp weighed in just over 12 lb and if i had spent the last hour fishing for silvers i would have managed the extra weight required but then again i was sure that i needed a carp .

So now we had an agonising wait to see if we had managed enough points to get through to the next round and luckily we did it by the narrowest of margins just a solitary point ;

2 section wins – 2 points

5 section seconds – 10 points

1 section third – 3 points

total 15 points

Well done to the team and all those involved in the competion especially Highfield fishery who ran a very good match , we now have an agonising three-week wait to find out who we get drawn against and it will hopefully be on a more suitable venue for us .So it can now get back to some sort of normality with club and open matches taking place , starting back at partridge lakes next week , maybe Hall lane Bessies pool in mid-week work and weather permitting .

Please leave a comment

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s