Partridge lakes winter league

December 4th , peg 171 covey six


I am back at Partridge lakes today for the third round of the teams of four winter league and the weather leading up to the contest had taken a turn for the worse with a drop in temperature although it still wasnt as cold as it should be for the beginning of December , the conditions had a big impact on the weights that had come out recently and it had also been frozen at the start of the week but on the open match Saturday it had been ice-free so i was unsure on how it would fish after all the melted ice water had gone in but i was looking forward to it nonetheless . On the trip down to the fishery i was surprised to see that the canal near me had frozen over and i was half thinking that i should turn back for the ice breaker but fearing that this would make me late i decided to head on but i still hoped that Partridge would be ice-free , but on arrival i feared the worst as majority of the lakes were covered on closer inspection it was just cat ice which was a relief because i didnt fancy smashing out any channels with my pole if it was any thicker and i then made my way to meet up with the rest of the team who where surprisingly in a confident mood as one of them had managed to win the open here on Thursday , it was soon time for the rolling draw to start and the team captain came back with some reasonable pegs for a change 121 covey five , 14 spey , 4 ribbon , i was on 171 covey six and this was an area that i had fished before at this time of year but struggled plus i was up against the lakes flyer 173 so i would have my work cut out for decent points today .


On arrival to my home for the next few hours most of the pegs had a covering of ice on them including those down the split were i was but luckily it was only cat ice so i managed to tap out a couple of channels through it quite easily with my cupping kit ,towards my left hand side i cut it out too eleven meters which was half way up the far bank slope at around four-foot deep and i didn’t really expect the fish to be in any shallower water ,  towards my right side i just put it half way about six meters which would be my channel swim and i was quite pleased with how things had turned out as i had left lots of ice for cover for the fish to hide in i was looking forward to giving it a good go because this type of fishing is something that i don’t do a lot of these days .

My main swims for today was going to be ;

Pellets in four-foot which was tight to the side of the ice and i used a 4×14 roob float which had an inch spread bulk above the four-inch 010 garbo hook length as this was a very positive rig it will show up the slightest touch on the float .

Maggots in four-foot i used a light 0.2 maggie float which had a bulk+two dropper shotting pattern and my main line was the usual 014 garbo which had a six inch 010 garbo hook length attached to it , this should enable me to grab the attention of any passing f1 as my hook bait fell in the bottom third of rig .

Channel in six-foot as it was relatively still on this swim as i was getting protection by the ice so i used an 0.3 maggie float which had a bulk+two dropper shotting pattern and my main line was the usual 014 garbo which had a six-inch 010 garbo hook length attached to it , this should enable me to grab the attention of any passing f1 as my hook bait fell in the bottom third of rig .

Bait for the day was ;

2 pints of red maggots with a handful of white mixed in

1 pint of micros

1 pint of crushed expanders

small tub of 4+2mm expanders


For a change i was set up with plenty time to spare but it was just ten minutes before the all in when the sun made its way from behind the far side trees which were in front of me and i just couldn’t see anything on my original swims so i hastily had to re plumbed up a couple of new ones on the opposite side of my ice channel which at least meant i could fish my four-foot rigs at the start , when the hooter sounded in the distance i began on my pellet line and i tapped in a thumbnail sized nugget of crushed expander groundbait as i didnt really know what to expect from the fishing today ,i then lowered my rig over the top of it but the glare from the sun was making things really awkward and with no bites coming in the first fifteen minutes  i decided to risk tapping a few micros in to see if i could attract the attention of a passing f1 because the lad to my left had already caught two fish so there seemed to be some in the area ,although to be honest i couldn’t be sure if it worked or not as i was lifting into phantom bites because i was struggling to see my float with the low winter sun and on one of these lifts i think i foul hooked an f1 which i lost under the ice as i began shipping back.


Thirty minutes into the match i decided to go onto my channel swim because at least i was able to see my float but i did feel that there was a few fish present on the four-foot line so i hoped the sun might move enough for me to go back on my original swim soon , at this point of the contest the north easterly wind had started to get up as a consequence  you could hear the ice cracking and it wasnt long before most of it from the margin to the channel had melted this had an impact on the fishing as everyone down the split where i was sitting remained bite less for almost two hours although i did see a couple of anglers catch from the opposite bank , during this middle spell of the contest i think that i might have over fed the peg because i was setting up new swims at four-foot along the far shelve and also tapping in maggots which i felt was the best depth to try to find a few f1s but it didnt work .


I was beginning to fear the worst with a blank being on the cards but when i dropped onto my channel swim i finally managed another bite and not long after i had my first f1 in the net , by kinder potting in six maggots every five minutes then lowering in my rig on a tight line i managed to add two more fish and i would only get an indication thirty seconds after my rig had settled so i was constantly laying my rig in through the water but after twenty minutes of activity the swim died on me , thinking about it now i really should have put more lines in at this depth but instead i went searching along the far bank at four-foot because that was the area that the other anglers seemed to be getting the most indications and i did manage a couple more f1s but it was noticeable that i would only be able to catch one fish on each swim , on reflection after the match i should have taken more pole sections out of my holdall so i could search the water in between the pegs because that is what the lad to my left did and he over took me in the last hour of the match , whereas i really struggled as i had to resort to going tight across with all my shot under the float by doing this i had a really slow fall of the hook bait i hoped that this might attract the attention of a carp but i only managed a chub .


When the all out sounded it called time on a rather frustrating match i really needed to be more active searching my peg more to find out were the f1s where located and I’m not sure if my silver fishing is having a detrimental effect on my f1 fishing , i knew that i had been beaten by the anglers either side of me but i hopped that i had managed to get the better of the others in my section and for a change i was one of the first to weigh in peg 173 managed 13lb , i had 6lb , peg 169 had 10lb , peg 167 had 9oz and peg 165 had 8lb which i felt was well within my grasp today so i ended up a disappointing 4th in section .

On the team front we had a reasonable day with 12 points despite my poor performance this put us mid division on the day but more importantly kept us in touch with the leaders in overall 7th position with 33 points but there is still a long way to go yet ,unfortunately  i am going to miss the next round as i need to concentrate on my two remaining winter league matches at old hough where i need a couple of good results if i want to stay towards the top of the league but after that all my matches will be at Partridge lakes and i might even enter in the individual event if there is still places free .


Please leave a comment

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s