Partridge lakes , individual winter league

February 5th



Today i was back at Partridge lakes for the third round of the individual winter league and after last weekend when i had a pretty awful match but somehow still managed a third in section in the team match , i was hoping for a decent draw for a change because my last five here have been shockers . The weather during the week had finally taken a turn for the better with a rise in temperatures and as a consequence the f1s had decided to have a feed with some big weights coming out on the mid-week opens , but yet again by the time match day came round it was all change with lots of cold rain going in over night and a very thick frost on the car in the morning , it was about time the weather settled a bit because yet again it is forecast to be up and down in the next few weeks .

My planned early arrival to the fishery so i could catch up with a few lads that i had not seen in a while was put right out of the window as i had forgotten that the bridge leading up to the venue had been closed due to road works so i had to make a bit of a detour , when i finally got there the rolling draw was well under way so i joined the queue at the back and after picking up my section money from the previous round it was time for a dip in the bag of doom , to be honest i was quite surprised after my recent run when i pulled out the most in form peg on the complex and now the pressure was on for a good result , i spoke to a couple of lads who had fished it recently and they kindly pointed me in the right direction


When i arrived at my home for the next few hours i had a reed lined point of island directly in front plus a bowl towards my right which has held lots of fish recently probably down to the fact that it gets lots of winter sun and it was glaring directly into my face , after plumbing up around my peg i decided to set up ;

4ft rig tight to the far side reeds , with the conditions being calm i decided to use a 4×10 maggie float with a staggered bulk of number 11 stotz my main line was the usual 014 garbo which had a six-inch 010 garbo hook length and hook was a size twenty guru f1 maggot .I also used the same rig for down the side which was a top kit plus one to my right near the overhanging tree and top four towards the left which was as far as i could go .

Dobbing rig which has worked well in the first couple of hours during matches and i used a 0.2 matrix series three float with a bulk + 2 dropper shotting pattern my main line was the usual 014 garbo which had a six-inch 010 garbo hook length and hook was a size 16 guru f1 pellet  .

I set up two channel rigs for the bowl towards a 4×10 and a 4×12 maggie float towards my right at 11m because i wanted to try something new today and apart from being different float sizes everything else was the same , after plumbing up i was surprised to find just over five foot which wasnt ideal but nothing i could do about it now and my main line was the usual 014 garbo which had a six-inch 010 garbo hook length + hook was a size twenty guru f1 maggot .

Bait for the day was the standard ;

1 pint of maggots

1/2 pint micros

1/2 pint ground-bait

small tub of 2+4mm expanders


When the all in sounded i began by dobbing a 7mm punch of bread in three-foot towards the far bank reeds because i didn’t feel that putting any bait in would be the right thing to do at this early stage of the match and i started directly in front of me as i  want to push the fish into peg four , the high numbered pegs to my left are usually barren of fish although i did notice a couple of f1s top that way as i began setting up and after a bit of a slow start by working all along the reeds changing depths plus punch sizes i finally managed a few liners , but i wasnt unduly worried because i had been told beforehand that would be the case and after twenty minutes i managed my first f1 around the 2lb mark towards the point of the island , it took another twenty minutes for my next indication which came off on the way in due to my elastic sticking in the top kit and i knew it needed changing but got a bit lazy .

In the next hour i managed a couple more f1s , a ide by dobbing but i felt that the chance of winning the section was other because the lad on peg four was catching really well by fishing long down the margin towards peg one and i couldn’t get towards the side due to the over hanging tree , with things slowing down i decided to risk putting in some maggots to see if this would get me a run of fish because i was at risk of blowing a flyer and i picked two lines across tapping in six on each , after a couple of feeds i began getting the odd bite which i kept missing then i foul hooked an f1 i put these indications down to line bites so i picked up the dobbing rig again before i did too much damage feeding , this seemed to have worked because i managed a couple more fish and when i noticed a fish swirl in the bay i took the opportunity to flick my rig over the top of it which resulted in another f1 then a carp .


With two hours of the match remaining i started dripping in some maggots onto my channel swim while i continued dobbing along the far bank reeds it wasnt hectic by any means but the fish i was catching were of a nice stamp and i just hoped that a few fish might settle on my 11m line to my left , i saw another fish swirl in the bay and another flick of the rig over the top saw me hook a big carp which i played for over five minutes before losing it at the net when the hook pulled . I went on my channel swim with my 4×10 rig and began getting indications straight away but i foul hooked four f1s on the trot losing all of them but i did manage a small tench , so i decided to up my feed to try to get them on to the deck and i then went back dobbing which got me a bonus 4lb carp plus another f1 , with time running out i had to go back on to my channel swim and thankfully they had settled down a bit as i had a couple on the bounce before the lad on peg four decided to put his channel swim facing me , then i pricked three fish on the strike with just a foot of elastic coming out and i need to have a review on rigs + elastic before the next round after losing those fish the f1s backed of towards the lad opposite and we spent the rest of the match bouncing fish off each other .

When the all out sounded i had not fished a great match losing at least twenty pounds of fish but luckily the peg was guaranteed second in section at worst because the other pegs aren’t the best , i didn’t have to wait that long before the scales arrived  peg four managed 62lb that was enough for the match win , i managed 37lb for second in section and another default pick up this put me on five points for seventh overall with two rounds remaining so i am still in contention for a top ten finish which i will be more than happy with competing against these class of angler .




Please leave a comment

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s