Cunneries teams of three

April 8th

Today was the second round of the teams of three at Cunneries fishery near Eccleston and after last weekend where we managed to finish 5th on the day which wasnt a bad start as a new squad, we was all looking forward to another good showing and as we had all done the same as each other on the previous round we decided to keep the team the same , for a change the weather was forecast to be really nice with a dramatic rise in temperature , blue skies and hardly any breeze which would be good for a bit of sun bathing but not great for catching a big weight of f1s although everybody would be in the same boat so i just needed to alter my approach a bit .

After arriving at the complex there was cars everywhere as there was two club matches on hawk+kestrel and i meet up with the rest of the Adlington angling squad , everybody was in an upbeat mood looking forward to the contest ahead and it soon came round to draw time yet again i ended up towards the back of the queue although it didn’t stop me from pulling out a couple of half decent pegs ;

Hawk pool peg 19 Me

S canal legs 1+2 peg 26 Rob

S canal legs 3+4 peg 32 Matty

I had never been on Hawk pool before i knew that it would be a small fish race which isn’t something that i am comfortable doing but i had a job to do for the team , on arriving at my home for the next few hours i had an island at 12m it was mainly bare mud with a couple of reeds plus an overhanging tree which was only to be expected as it had only been open 18 months , it did look really promising and i was quite confident that was until i began plumbing up as both my near + far side margins were less than a foot deep and the deepest water i could find anywhere was a touch over three-foot down the track .

With all that in mind i decided to set up ;

Two foot worm rig it was half way up the far bank slope at about 11m and i used a 0.4 matrix series three float with an inch spread bulk above the four-inch 010 garbo hook length which had a size 16 guru maggot hook attached .

One foot worm rig which was used for fishing a foot away from both far+near margins and i used a 0.4 matrix series three float with an inch spread bulk above the four-inch 010 garbo hook length which had a size 16 guru maggot hook attached .

Top four maggot rig which i would loose feed by hand hoping to pick up some barbel on it and as it was quite still i used a light 4×10 maggie float with a small bulk plus a dropper shotting pattern , my main line was the usual 014 garbo and hook length was six-inch of 010 garbo that had a size twenty guru maggot hook attached .

Bait for the day and even though i had been told that it was an all pellet approach on this lake i decided to try a worm approach because i figured that with holding mixed species you would miss out on weight if you just targeted the f1s , although my worm mix for the day did include some micros + fish meal ground-bait which would help me attract the f1s into my swim and on my side tray i had ;

Two pints of maggots

Three pints of worm mix , soil+caster+worm+micro+ground-bait .

Small tub of worm for the hook

Small tub of 2+4mm expanders just incase things went pear-shaped .

When the all in sounded for the start of the match i began across to the far bank in two foot because even though it was warming up nicely we had a frost on the car in the morning and i felt the fish would be in the slightly deeper water , as it turned out for a change i was right because it didn’t take long before i was catching and in the first hour i managed twenty fish from the one line , i did alter a few things early on by reducing the size of the piece of worm on the hook as the fish were averaging about 8oz and because i was catching quite constantly i reduced the size of the kinder pot so i didn’t overfeed the swim .


Unsurprisingly my original line started to fade and i decided to put in a new swim towards my right as i wanted to leave the better left hand area of my peg for later in the match , yet again i was into fish almost straight away although they was mainly ide but on looking round i was doing better than most and as long as i kept putting fish in the net i was happy , after around thirty minutes i began foul hooking the odd f1 and i figured that they had backed off into the shallower water , i didn’t waste no time in replumbing up with my one foot worm rig in front of the little cover that i had along the far bank and i was back catching almost straight away , with half the match gone i had fifty fish on the clicker but i did lose the odd f1 which took me into the reeds and it was a balancing act trying to get my elastic right because i didn’t want to bump any fish off on the way in .

After the disturbance of losing a couple in the reeds i decided to drop onto my top four which i had fed with maggots since the match started i expected there to be a lot of barbel present and i had a bite as soon as my hook bait hit the deck but it wasnt the hoped for barbel but ide+f1s although they was there in numbers for about 15 minutes before they backed off , so i just rotated my two swims for the next hour and i was steadily putting fish in the net which was good fun even if they was a small stamp .

We was fast approaching the last hour and i expected to start catching really well from my left hand margin because it was an area of my peg that i had purposely ignored , i went six meters towards the empty peg and kinder potted in a ball of my worm mix this resulted in a couple of quick f1s plus a barbel but just as i felt that it was going to kick off , the all out sounded on the match behind me and all the disturbance with car doors slamming + people walking up and down put paid to my margin swim , i had no other option than to resort to going back across and after neglecting it for about thirty minutes the fish had disappeared so i decided to set up a new swim towards my right at 13m were the peg was a bit wider this produced a couple of f1s plus a small ghostie before the all out sounded on our match .

Overall i had really enjoyed my match today putting 95 fish in the net and i no doubt did quite a few things wrong on my first attempt at fishing the lake but it’s all a learning experience at the moment on here , when the scales arrived at my peg i was the last to weigh in my two nets went just over 50lb which put me forth on the lake just missing out on second by less than a pound , a couple of quite spells had cost me but i suppose that was the same for everybody as it’s always a close match on hawk and the lake winner had sixty pounds but did manage to catch some bonus fish which is always handy in these fish races .

I went down to see how the other Adlington lads had got on and our angler on the first two legs had done extremely well managing over a ton which put him second on the lake and match , our other lad on second two legs didn’t do that well but we knew that after the draw so he had to take one for the team today and it just shows how important it is to sit in the right areas when f1 fishing . As a team we ended up with 15 points for the second round running this put us 4th on the day one point behind second place so just four-ounce had cost us a money finishing position but thats team fishing for you , the other squad members had also improved a great deal from the first round managing to finish one point behind us in sixth place so everything seems to be coming together nicely.

We have a couple of weeks away from Cunneries so i will be heading back to Partridge lakes for the open match on Saturday before the Preston innovations pairs contest on the Monday so another busy weekend ahead , thanks for taking the time to read my blogs .



Please leave a comment

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s