Hall lane fishery , Bessies pool

June 17th

Hall lane Bessies

Today was the fourth round of the summer league at Hall lane that Mosella north-west was running and after missing the last two rounds i needed a good match to move up the table because at the moment i was languishing towards the bottom of it , the weather had stayed surprisingly nice with blue skies plus a light breeze but as you all know Hall lane is notorious for being a wind trap as it is situated at the bottom of Parbold hill with it being flat all the way to the coast so i hoped that things wouldn’t change as i drove to the fishery .On arrival i was glad to see that the conditions remained the same and what ever breeze there was blowing away from the car park , as i had plenty of time to kill i had a quick chat with the Mosella lads and as usual there was a smattering of big name local anglers , when draw time came around i decided to have first dip in the bag and pulled out peg 22 which was at the end of the long stretch with your back to Gwen’s canal , a few people told me it had been poor down that end on previous rounds but today conditions were very different and i had plenty room towards my left so things looked promising .

When i arrived at my home for the next few hours i had ;

a mud line between some over hanging reeds and i used a 0.4 muddie float as when i plumbed up i managed to find 18 inch of water where on plumbing up it was quite flat , my main line was the usual 014 garbo and hook length was four-inch of 012 garbo which had a size 18 guru lwg hook .

a reed bed on either side of me the one on my left had collapsed so it gave some shelter from the sun and i used a 4×12 maggie float with a bulk plus dropper shotting pattern as it was just over three-foot deep , my main line was the usual 014 garbo and hook length was four-inch of 012 garbo which had a size 18 guru lwg hook plus a micro bait band .

a cut out in the reeds a top kit on either side were i could get really tight to the bank and i used a 0.4 muddie float after plumbing up i found it to be around twelve inch deep , my main line was the usual 014 garbo and hook length was four-inch of 012 garbo which had a size 18 guru lwg hook .

Bait for the day was ;

3 pints of white maggots

2 pints hard 4mm pellets

3 pints ground-bait

small tub of mixed hard pellets

When the all in sounded i began on my top three at the side of the left hand reed bed because when i plumbed up earlier i had felt a few fish so i expected a good response and after tapping in a few 4mm pellets i laid my rig in so that it fell up the near slope , i didn’t have to wait long before i had my first fish which was a carp around 3lb and i managed six similar sized ones in thirty minutes for some reason i began getting snagged up on some dead reeds , the next half hour produced another four carp but i also lost a couple due to the underwater obstruction and with about forty pounds in the net you could say it was a good start to the match . With one of the top guru anglers to my right catching well across to the mud bank i decided to follow suit as my near side swim had tailed off and no sooner had i cupped in some maggots across then there was tails waving at me , so i quickly shipped back out and caught some carp pretty constantly for an hour just by kinder potting in maggots after every fish , understandably things didn’t carry on this way and i had to replumb up closer to the reeds in twelve inches of water because the fish were swirling as soon as put some bait in , this new line produced a lot of fish as well including a few chub about 2lb and it looked like i was going to be on for a very good day .

With ninety minutes of the match remaining i began feeding my margin swim with ground-bait and it only took a matter of minutes before i had some proper munters down the edge so before i went on it i changed to a stronger elastic , i carefully lowered my rig in tight to the edge within seconds it buried after a spirited fight i had an eight pound carp in the net a few more quickly followed but i was getting a bit worried about my net limits because it was a strict fifty pounds and although i had already got three nets in i had to go searching for another but before i went i put in a couple of cups of ground-bait , luckily i managed to borrow one from a lad towards the top end of the lake and when i got back i carefully put my net in before settling in on my box thankfully the carp was still there , for the remaining forty minutes i caught quite constantly but i did pull out of a couple during the match which as you will find out they cost me .

When the all out sounded it called time on a really good match and i was really unsure how much i had caught but i knew i had well over a ton which would be my first for here , when the scales arrived at my peg the net which i used for the last forty minutes in the margin went 43lb in total i ended up with 161lb i was over the moon with that weight although i felt that the peg was worth a lot more but im not used to catching these big weights and did a some things wrong plus pulled out of a few fish at the net , after packing up i made my way to the car park and it turned out i had ended up second in the match behind a 169lb net from the opposite end peg to me so it seemed there was a few fish down my end , overall Bessie’s had fished well in places but yet again some sections had been a proper struggle and its in these areas that are going to make or break your chance of doing well in the league .



Please leave a comment

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s