Hall lane fishery

1st July

Bessies Canal

Today i was back to Hall lane fishery which was situated in Rufford near the bottom of Parbold hill for the fifth round of the Mosella summer league and after managing second overall on my last match here i was understandably looking forward to it , although the weather in the week had been pretty poor with a drop in temps plus near constant rain so i felt that it might not fish as well but how wrong was i as you will find out later . Yet again i was travelling down on my own which to be honest i prefer because its less hassle running about after people plus i know lots of anglers everywhere that i choose to fish , after my thirty minute drive i arrived at the fishery with plenty time to spare so after unpacking my gear i had a quick look at Bessie’s pool and with the wind blowing away from the car park that was where you wanted to be because even though you are targeting mainly carp they definitely follow the breeze on here , when i got back to the cabin i had time for a quick chat with a few of the mosella squad before it was time for the draw and when it came for my go in the bag of doom i pulled out number 47 which was my usual end peg , but today i didn’t really fancy my chances of catching much as it was totally flat calm in front of me and on the last round in similar conditions the two anglers up this end both packed up after two hours having hardly caught in fact the section was won with just 17lb , although to compensate the fact it was a poor area i had been given a bit of room with two empty pegs towards my right and they was able to do this as we only had 35 anglers fishing due to a few lads having a go at the Maver match this competition at Partridge lakes but as usual there was plenty big name anglers in attendance .

On arriving at my peg i had a long reed lined margin to my right and a cut out on both sides at top kit length and i also had a reed lined island with a couple of bare mud banks in between them at 16m , so bearing this in mind i decided to set up ;

Top kit towards my left where i could get tight to the bank in 12 inch as on the other side i had some over hanging reeds and you aren’t allowed to garden at Hall lane , i used a 0.4 joof float which would allow me to keep my rig still when the fish came into the swim because there are some big carp in bessies , my main was 016 garbo and i used a four-inch 014 garbo hook length which had a size 14 guru lwg hook attached so i could use four dead maggots on the hook .

Top three in front of the right hand reed bed where it was 3ft deep and i used a 4×12 maggie float with a bulk plus dropper shotting pattern as i would be fishing maggots here , my main line was the usual 014 garbo and hook length was six-inch of 012 garbo which had a size 18 guru lwg hook attached .

In front of the far bank reeds where it was 2ft and i used a 4×12 maggie float with a bulk plus dropper shotting pattern as i would be fishing maggots here , my main line was the usual 014 garbo and hook length was six-inch of 012 garbo which had a size 18 guru lwg hook attached .

I had a look tight to the mud bank in various spots but it plumbed up awful with dead reeds all along the bottom so i had to come back a foot away from the bank where i could find a flat clean area but on the down side i felt that it was a bit to deep at 18 inch , i used my usual 0.4 joof float with 014 garbo main line with four-inch of 012 garbo hook length which had a size 16 guru lwg hook attached .

Bait for the day was ;

3 pints of white maggots

3 pints of 4mm pellets

4 pints of ground-bait

small tub of 4+6mm expanders if i needed to catch some skimmers .

When the all in sounded i began across in front of the over hanging reeds because i felt that with all the cold rain going in over the last few days that the fish might have dropped further down the slope and after kinder potting in some maggots i laid my rig in then held it still over the top , it took a couple of feeds before i started getting indications and not long after i began catching hand sized skimmers , i felt that i needed to feed them off so that the carp would bully them out of the swim but i figured as i was in a poor part of the lake i didn’t want to force things so soon into the match and it took about thirty minutes of constantly kinder potting in maggots before i managed a nice f1 but they wasnt there in any numbers . My two foot swim was not really working for me so when i saw a swirl on a mud bank towards my right i took the opportunity to switch rigs but before i fished it , i fed it with a small cupping kit full of maggots and no sooner had i put it in than there was carp swirling on it which was a positive sign , in the next thirty minutes i managed four carp and i topped it up with a large kinder pot after every fish but doing this did not seem to help settle them down as they was being proper moody no doubt down to the fact it was flat calm in front of me .

I decided to start feeding ground-bait across to see if it made any difference it did attract a few fish but yet again they wouldn’t settle for me and although i was still picking up the odd carp i felt that things needed changing but i wasnt sure what , i re plumbed up a new swim at the opposite side of some overhanging reeds where i found the same depth but i could get tighter to the far bank and i started by feeding a large kinder pot of maggots , it didn’t take too long before i was catching the odd fish and it seemed like they was just moving about in pairs i tried putting in a couple of pots of maggots to try to keep them in the swim but it did not really work which might be due to the fact that there wasnt many of them in my peg .

With two hours of the match remaining i began feeding my left hand margin with ground-bait after about ten minutes there was a few tails waving at me so a quick switch of rigs before lowering my rig carefully over the top of them , it didn’t take before my float shot under with yards of elastic streaming from the pole tip and after a spirited fight i had a near double figure carp in the net but the disturbance had understandably unsettled the other carp so i re fed it with another pot , then went back across to the mud bank where i picked up a couple more fish but i was keeping a close eye on my left hand margin for any signs of fish and basically that’s how i spent the rest of my match rotating all three swims picking up carp from each .

When the all out sounded it called time on a frustrating contest as i felt that i had not got it right today even though there wasnt a lot of fish in front of me , as i was going to be one of the last to weigh in i decided to see how they had got on down the other end of the lake and as i expected there was some big weights with a couple of 200lb nets plus lots of tons , although they got gradually worse the closer they arrived to my peg and the 25 carp went 86lb which although it was more than i had expected to catch at the start i was still a bit disappointed not to break the ton plus it was only good enough for fourth in the section leaving me on 18 points after five rounds although i had missed a couple this put me about half way in the table so i need some good results in the remaining three matches if i want to move up a bit .


Please leave a comment

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s