Partridge lakes

July 15th

Covey two peg 31

Today i decided on another change of venue and i had prepared all week for another try at Blundells but due to family commitments  i had to get back home pretty sharpish after the match so i choose a trip to Partridge lakes instead which was a bit more local to me and also a five-hour match unlike my original fancy of venues , it had also thrown up some nice weights recently plus it was mainly mud bank work which would come in handy for a bit of practice before the next round of mosella summer league at Hall lane as i don’t tend to do a lot of this sort of fishing  . I hadn’t visited the fishery since the fisho qualifier a couple of months ago so i expected to be a bit of the pace but it was a day’s fishing and i was really looking forward to it especially as the weather was forecast to be quite reasonable with warm temps , a light breeze blowing towards spey and overcast conditions but on the down side we was forecast to get a few heavy showers during the day but thats the english summer for you . After catching up with a few of the regulars which i had not seen for a while and  before i knew it was nearly draw time so i joined the queue towards the rear , when it came for my dip in the bag of doom i pulled out peg 31 on covey two not exactly where i wanted to be and in my opinion it was one of the worst on the complex i’m afraid that my golden arm has completely deserted me for the time being but i shouldn’t really complain because i have sat on my fair share of flyers so far this season .

When i arrived at my home for the next few hours it was completely flat calm in front of me although i did have a bit of room with two empty pegs towards my left and another to my right , i had a nice mud bank directly opposite me which had two big reed beds either side of it and i also had a reed bed either side of me in the margin so it did look promising , i just hoped that there would be a few fish in the area and taking all this into account i choose to set up ;

mud bank in 18 inch and i used a 0.3 MD diamond float with a bulk of shot above the 012 garbo four-inch hook length .

margin in 1.5ft and i used a 0.3 MD margin float with an inch spread bulk starting above the 012 garbo four-inch hook length .

pellet rig in 2.5ft for fishing in front of the far bank reeds and along my left hand margin at four meters , i used a 4×12 MD pellet float with a centimeter spread bulk starting above the 012 garbo four-inch hook length .

shallow rig in 2ft and i used a 4×10 MD mini mag float with four number eleven stotz spread along my 014 garbo main , attached to it was four-inch hook length of 012 garbo .

deck rig which i plumbed up at five meters underneath my shallow swim and as it was a touch over 5ft so i used a 4×12 MD maggie float which had a bulk plus two dropper shotting pattern , my main line was the usual 014 garbo and hook length six-inch of 012 garbo .

Bait for the day ;

2 pints of red and white maggots

2 pints of soaked micros

some ground-bait for the mud bank

When the all in sounded i didn’t think the mud bank would be right so soon into the match after the overnight rain and i began on my pellet line in front of the far bank reeds , i picked a dark reed as a marker then i dropped a nugget of crushed expander which i hoped would attract some f1s into the swim , five minutes without so much as a liner and my next move was to start taping in a few micros , a further ten minutes past before i had my first fish although i wasnt expecting it to be a gudgeon and before the match i had purposely decided to stick it out on one line for as long as i could because i felt this was something which had let me down recently , as i usually try to chase the f1s around the peg more like winter fishing rather than concentrate on trying to get my feeding right so that i could get them competing on one line which is what you need to do for a good weight  . In the next forty minutes i put four f1s + two stockies in the net but after that initial flourish the gudgeon returned in numbers which was not a good sign , i swapped swims to the other side of the reeds so i could start again and i would hopefully be able to switch between them both picking the odd fish of each , my left hand line never really got going as it only produced a couple of f1s but to be honest neither of them did and there was definitely a lack of fish in front of me .

I put two cups of ground-bait on my mud bank then went long down my left hand margin with my pellet rig in 2.5ft i started the same as i did on my across line by feeding a nugget of crushed expanders then tapping a few micros other the top , this swim got me a few stockies before bites tailed off but i didn’t have to wait too long before i found out why as i struck into something a bit more substantial which took me under the spare platform then broke my hook length so that was one nil to the carp . By continuously feeding a few pellets i began to build up the swim and i managed to pick up the odd better f1 among the stockies but it was slow going , i saw a swirl on my mud line where i had earlier fed some bait a quick change of rigs then i was shipping across and no sooner had my rig settled then it shot under , a sharp lift of the pole tip resulted in a small silver skimming across the surface and a few more followed but no proper fish maybe i was correct about the rain putting them off from going tight to the bank .

I had fed my shallow line since the match started and although i had not seen any signs of fish i decided to give it a whirl because nothing else seemed to working for me , but yet again all i could catch was small silvers and i noticed that underneath this line was a few bubbles coming up so i dropped on this just to see what had settled on it , my bait  had only just touched bottom when my float dipped under and after a spirited fight up popped a barbel which took me a bit by surprise as i hadn’t caught one from the proper coveys before , i missed a couple of quick dips on the float and i hoped that a few more were rooting around so with nothing to lose i took the option of potting in some maggots just like you would over winter , doing this got me a little run of f1s before they backed off so i gave it another pot and as i let it settle i went back across to the mud line this time i managed an f1 among the small silvers but it just wasnt right , i had a look on my long margin with pellets but that didn’t really kick off either so i spent the remainder of my match down the channel where i picked up the occasional big f1 and it was a tactic that i never thought would work during the summer months .

When the all out sounded it called time on a rather frustrating day as i just couldn’t get a run of fish but maybe there wasnt a lot in front of me today and at the start i had set myself an optimistic target of thirty fish which i did manage if i included the handful of stockies , although i did feel that i had been comfortably beaten on both sides as it looked like they had put the odd fish in the net quite often during the day and when the scales finally arrived my fish went just short of 46lb , which was more than i had thought plus i was surprised to find that i had beaten the two anglers either side of me , but i was a long way from challenging for the section as the windward end produced a 80lb+70lb and that was only to be expected , so although i didn’t really do a great deal today i strangely enjoyed it and might have had a chance from a very poor peg if the fish had turned up on the mud bank but it wasnt to be .



Please leave a comment

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s